What is an eco lodge? Here you can solve all your doubts about this new trend. Learn what differences there are between traditional lodge, Ecolodge and Green Lodge. And also, discover the types of ecological accommodation that exist.
This sustainable accommodation trend you might think is new, but it is not. Since 2015, some travellers like us. have gone one step further to help the environment. We recycle, we reduce our consumption of water and electricity in our homes, we support renewable energies and now, we help our planet in our travels around the world.
Support the environmental conservation of our planet on holiday. Yes, like you hear it. These ecological accommodations are as concerned as we are. Therefore, Ecolodger.com is here. We show what these eco-lodges are and how together we contribute our grain of sand on our trips..
1. What does ecolodge mean?
An ecolodge is a type of lodge that was distinguished from others by the way it was either constructed or operated, or both. The word came into being in the 1990s and was coined to describe a type of lodge that was either constructed or operated in an environmentally friendly way.
An eco-lodge is an establishment that welcomes tourists and vacationers in a natural park. It is a habitat that integrates into nature in a harmonious way and whose impact on the environment is almost minimal.
2. What is the difference between traditional lodge, green lodge and ecolodge?
You know what ecological accommodation and its benefits. Now, let’s go to learn about the difference between traditional lodges, green lodges and eco-lodges that we already knew about in tourist trends.
We have summarized it in a very easy way so that from now on you know how to differentiate it for yourself. Let’s go!
|Ranking factors||Traditional Lodge||Green Lodge||Eco lodge|
|1.Design and infrastructure||Conventional design and construction.||Design and construction focused on sustainability.||Design and construction integrated into the natural environment.|
|2.Use of resources||Use of resources without ecological considerations.||Efficient use of resources, such as energy and water.||Use of natural and local resources whenever possible.|
|3.Waste management||Conventional waste management.||Implementation of recycling and waste reduction practices.||Low impact waste management and composting.|
|4.Energy||Dependence on non-renewable energy sources.||Use of renewable energy sources to some extent.||Exclusive use of renewable and clean energy sources.|
|5.Conservation of the environment||Little or no consideration for the natural environment.||Some practices to preserve the natural environment.||Conservation and active protection of the natural environment and biodiversity.|
|6.Social and cultural impact||Little or no connection to local communities.||Limited collaboration with local communities.||Participation and active benefit for local communities.|
|7.Education and awareness||Environmental education is not promoted.||Limited environmental education programs.||Environmental education and awareness programs for guests and local communities.|
3. What are the benefits of an sustainable acommodation?
As you will see below, the benefits of the eco lodges will respect the 10 basic principles of fair trade according to the World Frair Trade Organization
- Conservation of the natural environment:This is the first benefit of the eco-lodges. Help protect and preserve the local ecosystem and biodiversity by reducing their impact on the environment.
- Efficient use of resources: By using renewable energy sources, waste management systems, and water conservation practices, sustainable acommodation promote responsible use of natural resources.
- Support for local communities: Ecolodges often work in collaboration with local communities, creating employment, encouraging fair trade, and supporting sustainable development projects.
- Environmental education and awareness: offer environmental education and awareness programs for guests and local communities, fostering appreciation and respect for the natural environment.
- Authentic tourism experience: provide visitors with a unique and enriching experience, allowing them to immerse themselves in the natural environment and local culture.
- Reduction of carbon footprint: By using renewable energy sources and sustainable waste management practices, sustainable acommodation reduce greenhouse gas emissions and help combat climate change.
- Promotion of ecotourism: it’s a fundamental part of ecotourism, a sustainable alternative to conventional tourism that seeks to minimize negative impacts on the environment and local communities.
- Stimulation of the local economy: Supporting local communities also contributes to the region’s economic growth, as money spent on ecolodges is reinvested in the community and promote sustainable development.
- Development of sustainable infrastructures: The construction and operation of ecolodges promote the development of more environmentally friendly technologies and infrastructures.
- Encouragement of responsible tourism practices: encourage visitors to adopt responsible tourism practices and be aware of their impact on the environment and local communities.
4. What are the different types of eco lodges?
You must write about: eco tree houses, ecoframs, ecohouses, ecolodge hostels, eco-lodges hotels, eco lodge resorts, gampling.
a) Eco lodge Hotels:
Ecolodge hotels provide a more upscale experience while adhering to eco-friendly principles. They often feature sustainable design, renewable energy sources, and locally-sourced materials. Ecolodge hotels may also offer amenities like spa services, guided tours, or fine dining, all with an eco-conscious focus.
b) Eco Resorts:
These are luxury ecolodges that offer a wide range of amenities and services while maintaining a commitment to sustainability. Ecolodge resorts often feature on-site restaurants, swimming pools, and recreational activities, all designed to minimize their environmental impact. If you would like to know about the diference between eco resort and eco hotel click here.
c) Eco Glamping:
Eco Glamping, or glamorous camping, combines the outdoor experience of camping with the comforts of a luxury ecolodge. Glamping sites are designed to offer a unique and eco-friendly experience that connects guests with nature while still providing modern conveniences.
d) Eco Tree Houses:
These ecolodges are built in or around trees, providing a unique experience that allows guests to connect with nature in an elevated setting. They are often constructed using sustainable materials and designed to minimize their impact on the surrounding trees and environment.
e) Eco Farms:
Eco farms, or farm stays, are ecolodges located on organic and sustainable farms. Guests can participate in farm activities, learn about sustainable agriculture, and enjoy farm-to-table meals. These ecolodges promote agro-tourism and support local farming communities.
f) Eco Houses:
Eco houses are ecolodges built with eco-friendly materials and incorporate sustainable design principles. They often include features like solar panels, rainwater harvesting systems, and energy-efficient appliances. These accommodations provide a comfortable and environmentally-conscious stay for guests.
g) Ecolodge Hostels:
Ecolodge hostels are budget-friendly accommodations that follow eco-friendly practices. They may include features like shared rooms, energy-efficient lighting, and recycling programs. These hostels cater to eco-conscious travelers who are looking for affordable and sustainable lodging options.
5. Advantages and Disadvantages of an Ecolodge
If you think of traveling in a sustainable way, but you still do not know what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a vacation in an ecolodge, do not worry. We tell you very simply. Now you can make the decision:
|Advantages of an Eco lodge||Disadvantages of an Eco lodge|
|Less environmental impact||They can be more expensive|
|Connection with nature and local culture||Fewer amenities and services than a traditional hotel|
|Support for local communities||Limited access to technology and communications|
|Promotion of ecotourism||Remote location and difficult access in some cases|
|Education and environmental awareness||There may be less privacy in some cases|
|Unique and authentic tourist experience||Limitations in the variety of activities|
6. 10 Famous examples of Eco lodge
1) The Brando en Tetiaroa, Polinesia Francesa
The Brando in Tetiaroa is a private tropical paradise that offers a unique and luxurious experience in the middle of nature. With white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters, this resort is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of French Polynesia.
2) Lapa Rios en Península de Osa, Costa Rica
Lapa Rios in Osa Peninsula is located in the middle of the rainforest and offers stunning views of the Golfo Dulce and the Pacific Ocean. With a wide variety of outdoor activities such as jungle hikes, bird watching and kayaking, this resort is ideal for nature and adventure lovers.
3) Sukau Rainforest Lodge in Borneo, Malaysia
This ecolodge is located in the heart of the Borneo rainforest and offers a unique experience for nature and wildlife lovers. With a wide variety of animal species such as orangutans, pygmy elephants and crocodiles, this resort is the perfect place to explore the rainforest.
4) Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica in Puerto Maldonado, Peru
This ecolodge is located in the middle of the Peruvian Amazon rainforest and offers a unique experience for nature and adventure lovers. With a wide variety of outdoor activities such as jungle hikes, bird watching and canoe rides on the Amazon River, this resort is ideal for those looking to explore the Amazon rainforest.
5) Chumbe Island Coral Park in Zanzibar, Tanzania
Chumbe Island Coral Park is located on a private island off the coast of Zanzibar and offers a unique experience for diving and snorkeling enthusiasts. With a protected coral reef and a wide variety of marine species such as sea turtles and bottlenose dolphins, this resort is ideal for those looking to explore the underwater world.
6) Bardessono in Napa Valley, California
This ecolodge is located in the middle of the famous Napa Valley wine region and offers a unique experience for wine and food lovers. With a wide variety of gourmet restaurants and nearby wineries, this resort is ideal for those looking to enjoy good wine and food. Click here to see more types of ecolodges
7) Longitude 131 in Ayers Rock, Australia
Longitude 131 in Ayers Rock is located in the middle of the Australian desert near the famous Uluru (Ayers Rock) and offers stunning views of the Australian desert landscape. With a wide variety of outdoor activities such as desert hikes and hot air balloon rides, this resort is ideal for those looking to explore the Australian desert.
8) Fogo Island Inn in Newfoundland, Canada
Fogo Island Inn in Newfoundland is located in the middle of the wild and remote landscape of Fogo Island off the coast of Canada. With stunning views of the Canadian coastal landscape and a wide variety of outdoor activities such as coastal hikes and whale watching, this resort is ideal for those looking to explore Canada’s wild landscape.
9) The Lodge at Chaa Creek in San Ignacio, Belize
The Lodge at Chaa Creek is located in the middle of Belize’s tropical landscape near the famous Mayan archaeological site Xunantunich and offers a unique experience for Mayan culture and tropical nature lovers. With a wide variety of outdoor activities such as jungle hikes and visits.
10) Mashpi Lodge en Quito, Ecuador
Mashpi Lodge is an ecolodge located within the Mashpi Nature Reserve in Quito, Ecuador. It offers a unique and authentic experience in the Ecuadorian rainforest while protecting the environment and promoting scientific research. Its roof windows offer a full panoramic view of the misty forest that surrounds the property.
If you have come this far, it is because you have resolved your doubts about what eco lodges are and the different types that there are. Now, you are able to differentiate for yourself each accommodation and start organizing your vacation trip supporting the environment with this type of ecolodges.
If you liked it, you don’t forget to share it on your social media, with your friends or with your partner, it helps us a lot! You can also tell us what you need and we will solve your doubts.
Hopefully see you soon. Find you trip in Ecolodger.com now